One Room Challenge week1
the one and only one room challenge
As some of you know I like a good challenge and the One Room Challenge was calling my name. I was very hesitant to sign up for this challenge and even as I write this I'm still wondering if I should take this on. What is the One Room Challenge? It's already in it's 13th year and I guess it is time I give it a try. Twice a year, 20 designers are chosen to be the featured designers and they transform a room while blogging about it throughout the 6 weeks. I will be participating as a guest designer and will link up to the main event page every Thursday while I blog about the room transformation with a final reveal at week 6. The crazy part is that I'm already scouting for a photographer which is a first for me to do before a room is even finished but it's a tight deadline of a few short weeks with lots and lots on the to do list.
what am i transforming?
The room that I've decided to transform is a small bedroom that will function as a master bedroom. This little room with not only a very low ceiling but very awkward sloped ceilings will have to magically transform into a comfortable, simple, stylish and of course Feng Shui approved master bedroom retreat. Follow me along during the process to see how it will all turn out. Based on the listing photo of this room, I think it can only get better from here.
bedroom must haves
1. The carpet has got to go! The good news is that there's wood flooring underneath it all. Carpeting collects dust and being that it's an older carpet I can only imagine how much dirt it has collected throughout the years. Can't wait to share what's hiding underneath it all.
2. My Feng Shui rule book tells me that bed positioning is top priority. The bed in this photo is not in it's optimal position. For the room transformation I will be bringing in a much larger bed, a king size bed and the goal is to have it in command position. Another issue is that both sides of the bed should be accessible and not be against the wall.
3. Blackout shades are a must have in my opinion for any bedroom. My goal is to have shades that both have a privacy function during daytime as well as darken the room for night time and block out the sun in the morning.
4. Not only is the existing fan way out of style, it is not Feng Shui approved. Fans above beds are not recommended and since it's not even necessary to have a fan on the East Coast, I will be replacing it with a light fixture.
5. Paint is the easiest way to freshen up the room and the tone of the existing paint is just too yellow and highlights the sloped ceiling even more especially on the left side of the room since the ceiling is painted with the wall color.
my 9 Tips to bring success into your life
Thank you for visiting. I look forward to sharing with you the transformation of this little room as I transform it into a master bedroom and I hope you follow along and cheer me on. You can also follow my fellow designers as they transform their spaces. See you all next week!
Do you have a bedroom that is challenging? Would you like to transform it in 6 weeks? I'm always up for a challenge, contact me anytime to tell me all about it!